Debug Mode is a way to run the game which shows you a console window that contains debugging information. That is, text about the game state and what is occurring behind the scenes. One can utilize the console display to easily read damage modifiers and actions to help in the balancing of one’s mod. In addition, debug mode enables keyboard shortcuts to instantly level up your character, reveal the entire map, change floors up and down, or give yourself free items. These tools can drastically speed up mod testing.
Configuring Debug Mode
There are multiple ways to launch the game in debug mode. The simplest two are: editing the Steam launch options, or using a shortcut.
- In your Steam Library, right click on Dungeons of Dredmor and select "Properties".
- On the General tab, press the "Set Launch Options" button.
- In the dialog box, enter the text: -debug-flag
- Press OK to close the start options.
- Press Close to close the Properties window.
- The game will now launch in debug mode every time until you remove the -debug-flag from the launch options.
Using a shortcut in Windows
- Navigate to your Dungeons of Dredmor game folder using Windows. It is in your Steam folder which is usually in "C:\Program Files" or "C:\Program Files (x86)", unless you installed Steam somewhere else. Inside the Steam folder it will be located in \Steam\steamapps\common\. The full path will be something like "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor\".
- Inside this folder you will see the file "Dungeons of Dredmor.exe". This is the game executable.
- Right-click on the game exe and select "Create Shortcut". This will create a shortcut icon named "Shortcut to Dungeons of Dredmor.exe" in this same folder.
- Right-click on the shortcut and choose "Properties". This will open the Properties window and should select the Shortcut tab.
- In the Properties window on the Shortcut tab you will see a box labeled "Target". It will contain the full path to game executable. If the path contains spaces (e.g., "C:\Program Files\...") then the path will be surrounded in double quotes. These must be kept.
- Click anywhere in the "Target" text box and press the "End" key on your keyboard. This will move the cursor all the way to the end of the box. You could also use the arrow keys to achieve this. The cursor must be after the final double quote if there is one.
- With the cursor at the end of the box, press the Spacebar key to add a space then type in: -debug-flag The Target text box should now contain something like:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dungeons of dredmor\Dungeons of Dredmor.exe" -debug-flag
- Press the OK button in the Properties window to save this change and close the window.
- Any time you want to launch the game in debug mode you double click this shortcut rather than launching it the normal way. You can move the shortcut to anywhere on your computer, like the Desktop or your Start Menu, and you can rename it if you'd like.
Advice to Fully Utilize Debug Mode
It is recommended that you run Dungeons of Dredmor in windowed mode at a lower resolution than your monitor's full resolution. This will let you simultaneously view the console window while playing the game.
Debug Keyboard Commands
The following keyboard commands are available in debug mode.
|Reveal the entire map.|
|Levels the hero up 15 times.|
|Goes down a dungeon level.|
|Goes up a dungeon level.|
|Speeds up animations. (also available during regular play)|
|Slows down animations. (also available during regular play)|
|Takes you to the pocket dimension|
|Gives you some random loot based on dungeon level.|
Debug Mouse Commands
There's only one: in debug mode, if you click anywhere on the Minimap, you will teleport to the room you click on, even if that room hasn't been revealed yet.
Special thanks to Aquaman, aka Tyler Spencer, for this info!